Skip to main content

Spiritual Stalkers


Stalker – noun – a person who stealthily hunts or pursues an animal or another person. 

We joke a lot about stalkers around here.  Facebook stalkers.  Friends who join us/run into us almost everywhere we go.  Silly things mostly.  And most of us, if we were honest, would admit that in some way or another we also stalk someone else.  We “follow” people on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.  We know far more about their lives than they’ve ever told us in person, with very little effort at relationship on our part.  My family goes so far as to sing parts of the song “Turn Around, Look at Me,” when we’re creeping up behind each other. 

But how often do we consider what might be stalking us spiritually?  What may be following us in realms unseen?

The Bible actually has a lot to say about spiritual stalkers.

Of course, there are good stalkers, things like those mentioned in Psalm 23:6.  The Word on the Street Paraphrase says it this way, “I know that your good, your best, your love and passion will stalk me, steer me, stand alongside me, [and] outlast every fad and fashion, through all eternity.”  Other translations add the following to this list of good spiritual stalkers:

-          Goodness, mercy, and unfailing love (Amplified)
-          God’s beauty and love (Message)
-          God’s faithful protection and loving provision (Voice)
-          Friendliness (Byington)

Who is stalked by these things, you ask?  I mean, how do we know if we’re being stalked by God’s goodness and best for our lives?  The second part of Psalm 23:6 holds the key.  It says, “And I will live forever in your house, Lord” (CEV).  When we are dwelling in God’s temple, in His church, and in the courts of praise – that’s when we’re guaranteed that God’s blessings will stalk us.  We have to be solidly established in a relationship with Him, in a relationship with His house, in order to guarantee that our spiritual stalkers are blessed ones. 

Throughout the Bible, we are likewise assured that we will be surrounded by:

-          Songs of victory when we confess our sins and are forgiven (Psalm 32:6-7, Living Bible)
-          Abiding love when we trust in the Lord (Psalm 32:10, Living Bible)
-          Lovingkindness and tender mercies, because He has ransomed us from hell (Psalm 103:4, Living Bible)
-          Blessings like a shield, when our hearts are right with him (Psalm 5:12, Voice)

In addition to these positive stalkers, the Bible also warns us of more menacing stalkers that may attach themselves to us, if we open the door for the enemy to work in our lives.   These warnings begin in the very first chapters of Genesis.  Genesis 4:6-7, in the Message Bible says, “God spoke to Cain: ‘Why this tantrum?  Why the sulking?  If you do well, won’t you be accepted?  And if you don’t do well, sin is lying in wait for you, ready to pounce; it’s out to get you, you’ve got to master it.’”  When we disobey God, we open the door for sin to stalk us, to watch for an opening to destroy our lives. 

Romans 3:16 adds to the list of ominous stalkers that may attach themselves to us if we are not seeking God (see verse 11 for that clarification), saying that: “Havoc and ruin follow in their path” (Knox).  The same verse, in other translations, states that when we are not seeking God, our lives are vulnerable to the following additional stalkers:

-          Destruction [as it dashes them to pieces] and misery (Amplified)
-          Suffering (GW)
-          Wretchedness (HCSB)
-          Heartbreak (Message)
-          Failure and pain (NIRV)

The Bible also warns us about pestilence that stalks in darkness (Psalm 91:6, Amplified) and the lies of the wicked that stalk us (Psalm 12:8, Message). 

So you see, while joking about “stalkers” and “followers” on social media is all in light-hearted fun, we have a lot to consider in the spiritual realm.  We need to daily ask ourselves where we may be opening ourselves up for dangerous stalkers sent from the enemy.  And likewise, we must daily decide to align ourselves with God’s heart, so that we can daily reap the benefits and look forward to the fun of being “stalked” by God’s best for us.  Because, after all, the stalker almost always catches up with its prey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Refuge: Knowing God through the Psalms

“I have confidence in your strength; you are my refuge , O God … I will praise you, my defender.   My refuge is God, the God who loves me …” – Psalm 59:9, 17, Good News Bible The Psalms are filled with verses about God our refuge: -           Psalm 9:9 says that the Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble. -           In Psalm 31:3, the Psalmist reminds God that He is our refuge and defense and asks for guidance. -           Psalm 59:16 is filled with the songs of celebration of the strength and constant love of our Refuge God. -           Psalm 62:8 encourages us to tell all our problems to God, to trust Him at all times, for He is our refuge.   And there are so many more references along this line.   But have you ever stopped to wonder what that means?   About what the title “refuge” has to teach us about our relationship with God?   I have to admit, when I was younger, this terminology was lost on me.   It seemed so … churchy.   “God is our r

Asking for the Nations ...

It’s been my theory for a number of years now that everyone “has” a country, one nation at least that God lays on their heart, one place that if they were really honest, they would fly to in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.  I mean it.  Look yourself in the eye (with a mirror of course), and ask yourself, “Where would you go if money were no option and you could leave right this instant?”  You heard it, didn’t you?  The whisper of another land, of a purpose beyond yourself … I hear it … I long for it.  My heart belongs there in another world … So much of what I’ve gone through in my life has prepared me to be a part of this nation, to pray for them, to do battle for the people of that nation in a realm we cannot see … A few years ago I was reading in Psalms and discovered a promise I’ve never forgotten.  Psalm 2:8, in the Contemporary English Version says, “Ask me for the nations, and every nation on earth will belong to you.”  And, as I’ve quit trying to overanalyze the Scriptur

Moats, Drawbridges, and Royalty - Oh my! Knowing God as our Castle

God is bedrock under my feet, the castle in which I live , my rescuing knight … ~ Psalm 18:2, Message Perhaps it’s a sign of my simple, fairy-tale loving nature, but I have always been entranced with castles.   The spires that reach wistfully to the sky, the majesty and magic that seem to surround them, the regal beauty hidden within them, the safety and mystery they simultaneously portray to a world of curiously ordinary people, the resplendent riches and luxuries they contain … There’s something about castles that has always intrigued my heart, and therefore, when I found this verse – I fell instantly in love with it.   I love that God is depicted as the “castle in which I live,” the castle of my soul; love that He is the richness and extravagance my soul luxuriates in – no matter what the circumstances look like; that He is my dwelling place, my place of security and strength.   But it’s amazing how much more this imagery suggests to us about the heart and nature of our relation