Skip to main content

Daring to be Restless ... Again

8 years.  

It has been 8 years since I revisited this blog. Nearly a decade. 

In that time, I have gone from being a newlywed to someone who has walked 1/3 of my life already with this bearded man. I have gone from working 40-60 hours a week as a social worker to the every-waking-moment job of raising a family. We have had a biological child, fostered three long term and provided short term respite for several more ranging in age from 8 months to 12 years. We've moved to new states twice. I have been diagnosed as a Celiac, had blood clots, soon will have my gallbladder removed, and, like all of you, have survived nearly two years of a global pandemic that, while we claim is over, is in many ways raging beyond what we have yet seen.  

Life has changed in nearly every respect. 

And while I have tried to start a few other blogs over the years, with different focuses or themes, I keep coming back to this one. This blog with "restless" in the title, because I feel like more than ever, we live in an age of restlessness, of unease with the status quo, of angst over injustice and a desire for God to meet us in the midst of it all - all the hard, all the mundane, all the everyday battling onward in a life of faith. I still feel the restlessness. And perhaps so you do. Perhaps that is why we meet here, because we need somewhere to bring our restless souls and know we are not alone. 

I assure you, we are not. 

Our God, after all, is a God of restless people. In 1 Samuel 22, when God was assembling an army around David - it was not the "put together and content" who became mighty men. It was people described in verse 2 as suffering hardship, in debt, and discontented (Amplified Bible); in trouble and angry (Contemporary English Version); men who were just not satisfied with life (Easy to Read Version); losers and vagrants and misfits of all kinds (Message). It was not the polished and pretty who became his disciples - but failing fishermen, hated taxcollectors, zealots bordering on terrorists, demon possessed, broken people. Even Hebrews 11:38, which encourages us with the stories of all who have come before us, tells us of believers who were "vagrants wandering the earth in animal skins, homeless, friendless, powerless—the world didn’t deserve them!—making their way as best they could on the cruel edges of the world" (Message). 

So if you find, amidst the deep gratitude within your heart for the moments of sheer joy you have experienced in these last few years, a sense of disquiet and restlessness, a longing for more of Christ in these hard seasons - you are in good company. As am I. 

Let's make space for both - the gratitude and the restlessness. Both are holy. Both create space in which God can work. And both will help us move forward, into the unknown of the future. To 2022 and beyond. Let's do this. Together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Refuge: Knowing God through the Psalms

“I have confidence in your strength; you are my refuge , O God … I will praise you, my defender.   My refuge is God, the God who loves me …” – Psalm 59:9, 17, Good News Bible The Psalms are filled with verses about God our refuge: -           Psalm 9:9 says that the Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble. -           In Psalm 31:3, the Psalmist reminds God that He is our refuge and defense and asks for guidance. -           Psalm 59:16 is filled with the songs of celebration of the strength and constant love of our Refuge God. -           Psalm 62:8 encourages us to tell all our problems to God, to trust Him at all times, for He is our refuge.   And there are so many more references along this line.   But have you ever stopped to wonder what that means?   About what the title “refuge” has to teach us about our relationship with God?   I have to admit, when I was younger, this terminology was lost on me.   It seemed so … churchy.   “God is our r

Asking for the Nations ...

It’s been my theory for a number of years now that everyone “has” a country, one nation at least that God lays on their heart, one place that if they were really honest, they would fly to in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.  I mean it.  Look yourself in the eye (with a mirror of course), and ask yourself, “Where would you go if money were no option and you could leave right this instant?”  You heard it, didn’t you?  The whisper of another land, of a purpose beyond yourself … I hear it … I long for it.  My heart belongs there in another world … So much of what I’ve gone through in my life has prepared me to be a part of this nation, to pray for them, to do battle for the people of that nation in a realm we cannot see … A few years ago I was reading in Psalms and discovered a promise I’ve never forgotten.  Psalm 2:8, in the Contemporary English Version says, “Ask me for the nations, and every nation on earth will belong to you.”  And, as I’ve quit trying to overanalyze the Scriptur

Moats, Drawbridges, and Royalty - Oh my! Knowing God as our Castle

God is bedrock under my feet, the castle in which I live , my rescuing knight … ~ Psalm 18:2, Message Perhaps it’s a sign of my simple, fairy-tale loving nature, but I have always been entranced with castles.   The spires that reach wistfully to the sky, the majesty and magic that seem to surround them, the regal beauty hidden within them, the safety and mystery they simultaneously portray to a world of curiously ordinary people, the resplendent riches and luxuries they contain … There’s something about castles that has always intrigued my heart, and therefore, when I found this verse – I fell instantly in love with it.   I love that God is depicted as the “castle in which I live,” the castle of my soul; love that He is the richness and extravagance my soul luxuriates in – no matter what the circumstances look like; that He is my dwelling place, my place of security and strength.   But it’s amazing how much more this imagery suggests to us about the heart and nature of our relation