Skip to main content

Climb Every Mountain: Knowing God in all His Wildness




“The Lord is my fort where I can enter and be safe; no one can follow me in and slay me.  He is a rugged mountain where I hide; he is my Savior, a rock where none can reach me, and a tower of safety.  He is my shield.  He is like the strong horn of a mighty fighting bull.”
~ Psalm 18:2, Living Bible Paraphrase ~

For those of you who have seen The Sound of Music, have watched Julie Andrews run through the rugged Austrian Alps singing, “The Hills are Alive,” or have heard Mother Superior sing “Climb Every Mountain,” and watched in trepidation as the Von Trapp family escaped to Switzerland through those same mountains – perhaps you’ll understand why I chose the title I did for this blog; perhaps even now you have goosebumps as I do, though mine are for a different reason.  Since returning home from our adventure in the mountains of Pennsylvania and watching The Sound of Music yet another time, Psalm 18:2 has been rolling around on the inside of me.  My God is a rugged mountain where I hide …  Though I’ve always loved that imagery, this week God has been challenging me to really investigate all that He offers us in that reality, that He is our rugged mountain.  What does that even mean?  What is God trying to impart to us by telling us that?  After a week of meditating on this verse, I believe the answer is a complex and beautiful allegory of His very nature and the realities of what a walk with Him will look like on this earth.

Majestic and Beautiful 

Following curving highways through the mountains of Pennsylvania, my breath caught in my throat; goosebumps rose on my arms.  It was beautiful – the way they rose so majestically above our heads and simultaneously fell away below us to devastatingly beautiful valleys.  The way the colors danced on the snow as the sun was setting, the way the lights of the villages glittered like fireflies in winter, floating out with an unexplainable warmth from the places they were nestled among the foothills – the wonder of a country like this is meant to point us back to the beauty and majesty of our God.  Psalm 145:5, in the Voice translation, says, “Your majesty and glorious splendor have captivated me; I will meditate on Your wonders, sing songs of your worth.” Just as driving through the mountains and beholding their beauty causes us to gasp in wonder, so beholding our mighty God should cause our breath to catch, our imagination to soar, our hearts to swell with joy and inexpressible pleasure.  Our God is like a mighty mountain, with new heights to discover each day!  Psalm 145:3, in the Living Bible, says that God’s “greatness is beyond discovery” – that like a person wandering on foot through the great Rocky Mountains, we could never discover all the beauty, all the wondrous creation and splendor our God has in store for us in Himself.  He has wrapped Himself in glory, surrounded Himself in beauty.  He, in and of Himself, His very nature, is so majestic that we could get lost in its wonder, in its freshness, in its purity.  That, I believe is the first message of the mountains for us, His people.

Dangerous and Intimidating

Yet our God is not a tame God, either.  Any mountain-climber could tell you that a mountain is not to be taken for granted, is not to be underestimated.  To master the mountain and reach the summit is not an easy trek; in fact, it’s often a deadly endeavor.  And such is the endeavor to know our God – difficult and dangerous, not for the weak at heart or the unprepared – and it should come as no surprise to us.  Our God will not be pursued by those who are only half-hearted about it.  He is no prostitute.  Our God is a God who will be pursued passionately.  In Jeremiah 29:13, He says, “You will find me when you seek me, if you look for me in earnest.”  Hebrews 11:6 tells us that “Without faith it is impossible to please God: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”  That word “seek” in the Strong’s Concordance could also be translated, “search out, investigate, crave, demand, require.”  To know God is a desperate affair, is a crazed endeavor up the face of a mountain – it is not something that can be approached passively, or we will never make it.  Writing about the number of climbing deaths on a particular mountain in Europe, Stewart Green said:

“Many die because of subjective reasons such as unpreparedness, not bringing the right equipment and clothing, lack of experience, and bad judgment.  The others die for objective reasons including avalanches, falling rocks, blizzards, and bad weather … Immediate causes of death included not employing a guide; climbing unknown routes from late fall to spring; and ‘foolhardy adventurousness, vanity, the spirit of emulation, want of experience, and even absentmindedness.’”[1]

Does that sound familiar?  Jesus warned that the road to God would be narrow and few would find the gate, that many would fall away.  Why?  In the face of a God so beautiful, so loving, so majestic and awesome – how could anyone fall away from serving Him, from loving Him, from pursuing Him through all the wilderness?  It’s simple really.  People fall away from knowing God because they are unprepared – they don’t study the Word enough to prepare themselves for the hard days ahead, for the battles of fatigue, exhaustion, and storms.  Some fall away because they make bad choices and blame God for the consequences.  Others simply get way-laid by the attacks of the enemies – the literal storms – and give up.  Some don’t “employ a guide,” i.e., the Holy Spirit (see Psalm 31:3 in the Message), and a Pastor who can lead them away from calamity in their pursuit of God, can help them avoid pitfalls like offense, for example.  And oh, absentmindedness – what a dangerous and sneaky foe!  In this country of distractions, how difficult it can be to stay focused on knowing our God!  If we aren’t paying attention to the path, treacherous as it may be, we may never reach the summit to hear, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”  Yes, to know God is a dangerous choice, an intimidating one.  It’s a choice, that like those who choose to climb mountains, may attract the negative comments of your family and friends – that it’s crazy – but it’s so worth it.      

There’s so much more rolling around in my heart to share with you – but tonight, there simply isn’t time … but as you ponder what I’ve written here for you tonight, as you dream of the mountains and sing a little Rodgers and Hammerstein, I pray that you’ll heed the warnings and embrace the challenge to immerse your life in climbing the mountain of God …   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Refuge: Knowing God through the Psalms

“I have confidence in your strength; you are my refuge , O God … I will praise you, my defender.   My refuge is God, the God who loves me …” – Psalm 59:9, 17, Good News Bible The Psalms are filled with verses about God our refuge: -           Psalm 9:9 says that the Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble. -           In Psalm 31:3, the Psalmist reminds God that He is our refuge and defense and asks for guidance. -           Psalm 59:16 is filled with the songs of celebration of the strength and constant love of our Refuge God. -           Psalm 62:8 encourages us to tell all our problems to God, to trust Him at all times, for He is our refuge.   And there are so many more references along this line.   But have you ever stopped to wonder what that means?   About what the title “refuge” has to teach us about our relationship with God?   I have to admit, when I was younger, this terminology was lost on me.   It seemed so … churchy.   “God is our r

Asking for the Nations ...

It’s been my theory for a number of years now that everyone “has” a country, one nation at least that God lays on their heart, one place that if they were really honest, they would fly to in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.  I mean it.  Look yourself in the eye (with a mirror of course), and ask yourself, “Where would you go if money were no option and you could leave right this instant?”  You heard it, didn’t you?  The whisper of another land, of a purpose beyond yourself … I hear it … I long for it.  My heart belongs there in another world … So much of what I’ve gone through in my life has prepared me to be a part of this nation, to pray for them, to do battle for the people of that nation in a realm we cannot see … A few years ago I was reading in Psalms and discovered a promise I’ve never forgotten.  Psalm 2:8, in the Contemporary English Version says, “Ask me for the nations, and every nation on earth will belong to you.”  And, as I’ve quit trying to overanalyze the Scriptur

Moats, Drawbridges, and Royalty - Oh my! Knowing God as our Castle

God is bedrock under my feet, the castle in which I live , my rescuing knight … ~ Psalm 18:2, Message Perhaps it’s a sign of my simple, fairy-tale loving nature, but I have always been entranced with castles.   The spires that reach wistfully to the sky, the majesty and magic that seem to surround them, the regal beauty hidden within them, the safety and mystery they simultaneously portray to a world of curiously ordinary people, the resplendent riches and luxuries they contain … There’s something about castles that has always intrigued my heart, and therefore, when I found this verse – I fell instantly in love with it.   I love that God is depicted as the “castle in which I live,” the castle of my soul; love that He is the richness and extravagance my soul luxuriates in – no matter what the circumstances look like; that He is my dwelling place, my place of security and strength.   But it’s amazing how much more this imagery suggests to us about the heart and nature of our relation