Skip to main content

Learning to Wait

“Expect the Lord, do manfully, and let thy heart take courage, and wait thou for the Lord …”
– Psalm 27:14, 1899 Douay-Rheims Bible

                This verse formed the basis of the sermon yesterday at church, and it was painful.  Sitting in my pew, tears sprung immediately to my eyes as Pastor began to expound on this verse.  For the last several months, my heart has been wrestling with this idea of “waiting.”  There are dreams God has placed on my heart, dreams I long for, ache for, weep for, that I literally dream about at night with such clarity and such a sense of realness that I wake in confusion as to which is real – what I saw in my sleep or what I see now that I am awake … dreams I wish I wasn’t waiting to see come to fruition any longer.  I have fasted and prayed, have waged war with the devil, have aligned my words with the Word of God … and still I wait.  At least I thought I was waiting, until I dug into my study notes, and God began to show me what it truly means to wait.

According to Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, the word “wait” is defined as, “To stay or rest in expectation; to stop or remain stationary, till the arrival of some person or eventto look watchfully … to be ready to serve; to obey … to accompany with submission or respect …”  Am I resting (ceasing to strive, quieting myself before the Lord, allowing peace to reign in my heart as my faith wells up) in expectation, knowing that my God will act on my behalf, that He will enable me to carry out the plan He has for me in His time?  Am I looking watchfully for the promises to appear on the horizon, assured that God has already sent them, and trusting that they will appear any moment on the horizon of my awareness?  Am I caught up in joyful anticipation of my Lord’s return on the clouds, or am I so focused on earthly things that I am found slacking?  Am I waiting, ever ready to serve, to obey – even when I feel I have been waiting too long and I am frustrated by the wait?  Am I accompanying my God with submission and respect, more concerned with His glory than my wishes?  No … not enough.  I have not yet learned what it is to wait …  

When I turn to other Scriptures about waiting, I am further convinced I do not know the meaning of the word.  For example, Habakkuk 2:2-4, in the NCV, tell me, “The Lord answered me: ‘Write down the vision; write it clearly on clay tablets so whoever reads it can run to tell others.  It is not yet time for the message to come true, but that time is coming soon; the message will come true.  It may seem like a long time, but be patient and wait for it, because it will surely come; it will not be delayed … Those who are right with God will live by faith.”  So, in this season of so-called waiting, am I writing down the vision?  Am I repeating it to myself?  Am I living by faith – or whining about being uncomfortable as my heart grows to new levels before my experiences do?  Lamentations 3:25-26, in the Bible in Basic English say, “The Lord is good to those who are waiting for him, to the soul which is looking for himIt is good to go on hoping and quietly waiting for the salvation of the Lord.”  Am I continuing to look for Him in my everyday life, to look for moments to meet with Him?  “Hoping,” according to the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary, means, “having hope; indulging desire of good with the expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable.  Confiding in.”  So, am “going on,” persevering in hope, in desiring good and expecting I will obtain it in God’s timing?  Am I confiding my desires to Christ, my Bridegroom, and continuing to revel in Him while I wait to see the reality of those desires? 

My heart is full as I study.  I am convicted, humbled.  Like Moses cowering before the righteous indignation of a Fiery God, my heart is bowed in awe, trembling as my God says to me:

“You will learn to wait in emptiness and frustrated desire for My plan of love to reveal itself.  With confidence in Me and hope in My plan, you will not only feel the pain of living in the valley but also see My glory from the mountaintop of faith.  Only those who struggle in confusion and wait in hope will be strengthened to struggle well and to wait with confidence … Struggle well!  Wait in hope!”[1]

I pray I will … that my God will find me faithful, that He will say I have struggled well ... and that my attitude of hope and expectation will be pleasing to His heart ...


[1] P. 172, Dr. Larry Crabb, 66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God that Invites You Into His Story, 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Refuge: Knowing God through the Psalms

“I have confidence in your strength; you are my refuge , O God … I will praise you, my defender.   My refuge is God, the God who loves me …” – Psalm 59:9, 17, Good News Bible The Psalms are filled with verses about God our refuge: -           Psalm 9:9 says that the Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a place of safety in times of trouble. -           In Psalm 31:3, the Psalmist reminds God that He is our refuge and defense and asks for guidance. -           Psalm 59:16 is filled with the songs of celebration of the strength and constant love of our Refuge God. -           Psalm 62:8 encourages us to tell all our problems to God, to trust Him at all times, for He is our refuge.   And there are so many more references along this line.   But have you ever stopped to wonder what that means?   About what the title “refuge” has to teach us about our relationship with God?   I have to admit, when I was younger, this terminology was lost on me.   It seemed so … churchy.   “God is our r

Asking for the Nations ...

It’s been my theory for a number of years now that everyone “has” a country, one nation at least that God lays on their heart, one place that if they were really honest, they would fly to in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.  I mean it.  Look yourself in the eye (with a mirror of course), and ask yourself, “Where would you go if money were no option and you could leave right this instant?”  You heard it, didn’t you?  The whisper of another land, of a purpose beyond yourself … I hear it … I long for it.  My heart belongs there in another world … So much of what I’ve gone through in my life has prepared me to be a part of this nation, to pray for them, to do battle for the people of that nation in a realm we cannot see … A few years ago I was reading in Psalms and discovered a promise I’ve never forgotten.  Psalm 2:8, in the Contemporary English Version says, “Ask me for the nations, and every nation on earth will belong to you.”  And, as I’ve quit trying to overanalyze the Scriptur

Moats, Drawbridges, and Royalty - Oh my! Knowing God as our Castle

God is bedrock under my feet, the castle in which I live , my rescuing knight … ~ Psalm 18:2, Message Perhaps it’s a sign of my simple, fairy-tale loving nature, but I have always been entranced with castles.   The spires that reach wistfully to the sky, the majesty and magic that seem to surround them, the regal beauty hidden within them, the safety and mystery they simultaneously portray to a world of curiously ordinary people, the resplendent riches and luxuries they contain … There’s something about castles that has always intrigued my heart, and therefore, when I found this verse – I fell instantly in love with it.   I love that God is depicted as the “castle in which I live,” the castle of my soul; love that He is the richness and extravagance my soul luxuriates in – no matter what the circumstances look like; that He is my dwelling place, my place of security and strength.   But it’s amazing how much more this imagery suggests to us about the heart and nature of our relation